Monday, July 16, 2018

Let's Talk Anxiety and Finding Calm

Photo Credit of Awesome Takes Practice located on Google
So I have anxiety. I have had it for quite some time, however I never really noticed it until I got pregnant with the small human. About 2 or three months into my pregnancy, I started having panic attacks, and the thought of having to do something made me freak out. At first I thought it was just my hormones.... has to be right ? I was growing a baby, so why wouldn't I be losing it? I thought it would go away. Well I was wrong, it only got worse as my pregnancy progressed. I was constantly on edge about EVERYTHING! My biggest stress was the constant fear of having another miscarriage. So every time the small human went to long without moving the anxiety and fear set it. Then the world would tell me how to be a mom, and life and everything else compiled. I would overthink everything. Including taking a shower. Yes folks that is right I had to seriously talk myself into a shower and be able to stay in the water long enough to actually take a shower. Then I thought it would go away after the baby was born....Again God smiled and said nope. So now here I am three years later, with anxiety, I know as long as I stay in my routine, I am fine. I like monotony. It really is not a bad thing. 
I have been asked how I keep my anxiety under control like I do and while I appear calm on the outside, I am losing my crap on the inside. Sleep and coffee is what I tell everyone. However there is so much more than just sleep and coffee that plays in it. I have my happy place. Which is with my husband and I am snuggled up under my blanket. I have always looked into a weighted blanket, and usually they are advertised for Autism and to aid in sleep. But Someone told me to check it out to help with my anxiety. 
Photo credit to SensaCalm
So here I am partnered with SensaCalm to put it to the test.  You can create your own custom blanket, Which I recommend! The ordering process was slightly different for me but I did a mock run through of the exact blanket I got so I could check out the ordering process. So first and foremost, when you are ordering DO NOT ORDER YOUR BLANKET TO FIT YOUR BED!!! You must order the blanket to fit
yourself. The blankets are made to fit the person not the bed! So when I go to order one for the tall child, I will have to order a different size and weight for her. she is like a foot small than me and 200 pounds lighter. So we do not need a 25 lb full size blanket for her. Anyhow, Start by selecting your Fabric to begin the ordering process. They have a huge variety of fabrics for everyone of all ages. Everything from Mickey, Hulk down to the flowers on blue that you will find on my blanket! Then you go through select everything you want. Order and enjoy. 

photo credit to Sensacalm
SensaCalm all started with one woman. Donna Chambers. Until 2008 Donna had never heard of a weighted blanket. When her grandson was Diagnosed with Autism, it was then that she had heard about these therapy blankets. After trying to find a weighted blanket for her grandson, and being disappointed in what she was finding. So she decided she would make one. With the help of a friend, and some trial and error, they did it. And thus Sensa Calm was born! All of their blankets are high quality, made right here in the US. They do offer more than just Sensory Blankets. They offer Weighted Wraps,  Lap pads, As well as Toys, Lotions, Oils, Vests and SO MUCH MORE.

Here is the run down of my experience with the blanket. I have found I am sleeping much deeper. So I am more well rested in the morning. The first few weeks I had the blanket, I had all three kids in the house, I was working 55 hours a week, and I was a mess. So When I started to melt down I would just go to bed. I curled up with my blanket and just calmed down. But I really could not put it to the test until I was without it. 
Enter the Arizona Trip. Me and the small human where set to board a plane on July 2nd, fly 1400 miles away and stay for eight days. Now don't get me wrong, This trip was something we both needed. I am so grateful to have been able to take it. I am especially grateful to my family for helping make that happen. However I was about to be well out of my routine.  I literally over thought everything on the morning of our flight.  Which of course triggers an anxiety attack. So here we go. By the end of day I had hit my monthly quote of anxiety attacks. I just wanted my blanket and my husband and both of which where back in northern Idaho... I made due. The remainder of my trip was fairly well enjoyed, I spent the much needed time with my family and my adoptive family, But at night I was tossing and turning, I was staying up so much later than normal, and of course the anxiety. So when I returned home, The first thing I did was snuggle down with my blanket!  Almost instantly I was ready to sleep and good heavens did I sleep. I slept so deep and peacefully. The same thing the next night. 
I have had such a wonderful experience with the blanket, and the company as a whole! If you know someone or you yourself needs a blanket like this in your life, I highly encourage you to test it out!

You can order your blanket on there site https://www.sensacalm.com/
Check out SensaCalm on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter

** this post is not a paid post. all of the opinions thoughts and words are my own. As always I encourage my readers to the product for themselves and formulate their own thoughts and opinions. SensaCalm did Sponsor this review and provided me with a blanket free of charge to facilitate this review** 

19 comments:

  1. I like the way you explained things. Keep inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating! I have heard about weighted blankets before and have wondered if they would help me sleep better when (say) it's summer and the long days interfere with my sleeping. CUrious to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you have had a miscarriage it is hard to not worry. I had a miscarriage and I worried about every twitch and body fluid down there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son uses these blankets sometimes. He has autism, so sometimes they help him out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember having anxiety attacks during my postpartum, these blanket would really be great since I myself sometimes find comfort in them. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is understandable why you would have anxieties especially suffering from something as scary and unfortunate as a miscarriage. Sorry that happened to you. But thank God you had something to turn to to help you to feel better. That's a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent review! Sounds like a wonderful blanket. Hopefully it will help others struggling from the same situation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's feels so good when people come up with things that acts as a life saver. This product must have comforted so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like having one of these too. The blanket looks comfy and so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really cool but the blankets are made to fit the person and not the bed. Really cool when you have an especially large/tall person in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh looked so comfy! Being a mommy is a tough challenge so whenever we have time to rest, a comfy pillows and blankets are relief of stress for all the stress of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing post, so informative. I can see these blankets helping so many people. I have to pass the word around. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative. I think this blanket is a good gift for my friend who also have anxiety issues. She will feel comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I should really check this out! I got a weighted blanket for my autistic son, but never thought about getting one for my own anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just being told about weighted blankets and wondered if they actually helped or not. I'm glad you enjoyed yours so much. I'll have to try it out, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never knew there's such product like weighted blankets, glad you introduced this to us. I know someone who might need this. A perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow... never heard of this product. this weight blanket seems good for sleeping and may be this will help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just knew about the weighted blanket from you. Thank you for the info

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing. As someone who suffers from anxiety, it's something I struggle with. I love my weighted blanked and enjoy sleeping with it.

    ReplyDelete